The eighteenth century
The development of the town of Cammarata, during the eighteenth century, had to be somewhat limited. The district of S. Maria, which began to be built towards the end of the seventeenth century, was the only one to increase considerably. The others, on the other hand, were enriched with new houses, occupying areas not yet built and gardens. «The Sanctuary of S. Maria was built in the second half of the century, on top of the rock. It appeared isolated due to the vast garden and the steep rock all around. The inhabitants, being the distant place and the difficult road, went there for important holidays, or in moments of family difficulty and particular calamity, in Penance. In summer, then, for the feast in honor of the Madonna di Caccia, thoughts were brought there on pilgrimage. The most devout, however, did not fail to go there to listen to Mass or to pray ».
Caruso, speaking in the "Documents for the history of Cammarata" of the town, and numbers seven districts: "Imbastia, la Citazza, Porta Guagliarda, Porta Soprana and Porticella, the Piazza, Gianguarna".
Cesare Pasca, after having distinguished the town in the upper and lower parts, adds: «They also divide into several small districts: one is at the top of the Rocca which extends up to the middle of the Rocca itself, precisely where the church of S. Vito and her name is Imbastia. Other places are named after certain gates that no longer exist such as Porta Soprana, Porta Guagliarda, Porticella. Another district lies at the bottom of the cliff to the north and is called Gianguarna. Narrow and gloomy is the place called square ... Three main streets start from this place: a lower one that leads out of town, of the other two, the left-handed one leads to the convent of S. Domenico, the one on the right side leads , to the tower; in this part there is a street called della Carrozza because it is considered the via regia of that town and with difficulty three or four men in front could take their steps; I stretch this road for a short distance and, bending over, it leads to the monastery of Santa Domenica ». Due to the condition of the site and the custom of the people, the districts of Cammarata were separated from each other and often in contrast with each other. The inhabitants seldom ventured into other parts of the country and mostly during the "season", as the streets became streams due to the constant rains. It was rare that they even went to the plain of San Giovanni because of the impassable tracks and the muddy roads. The new inhabited area, lying on that "all flat ground", appeared more modern and practicable for the new buildings and the wide streets paved with small stones. It looked like a renegade son who departed. It looked like a renegade son who, having departed from his mother for a better destiny, was now watched over. "For a long time, until the end of the 18th century, Cammarata had seven towers as a defense: four of the castle and three distributed in strategic places: Torre Bruna or Rocca, Turazza, Torre Bastia. A Turretta is also remembered. The gates of the town were: Guagliarda, S. Maria, Porticella and Soprana. ”As for Cammarata, so also for S. Giovanni the growth of the inhabited area was modest.
The largest increase was recorded downstream of the town, where "houses were built almost as far as the Capuchin convent." The area adjacent to the church of Purgatory and the Palazzo degli Alessi was enriched with buildings, while the district under the madríce was completed. Many large and small houses and "a few buildings, inhabited by distinct people", were built. Corso Toledo was further extended and several "wide and straight" streets were formed. Via An-tonello and Vico were born, as well as the Alfieri courtyard. Upstream from the built-up area, the "Terra Russa" district expanded to include many "modest dwellings", and the Archimede, Buonarroti and Galluppi streets and, above the matrix, the "Strata vocata di Guarino" must have been built. In the 18th century «the palaces built by the Baron-Pietro Bernardo in via Antonello are mentioned above all (Palazzo Alessi in via Antonello (which today houses the headquarters of the Cassa Rurale ed Artigiana and the Town Hall) had to be built, in its original nucleus, in the second half of the 18th century. Baron Francesco Maria (1777-1850) and assigned to his sons. Among others it was inhabited by arch. Dionisio Alessi. (Information provided by Cav. Giuseppe Alessi).) and in Largo Nazzareno (The Alessi palace in Largo Nazzareno had to be built by Baron Pietro Bernardo towards the end of the eighteenth century. The main façade is enriched with some balconies and a stone portal on which the family coat of arms is placed. Inside there are some rooms , decorated with paintings at the vault and enriched with stuccos, and a small chapel. The palace, towards the end of the 19th century, was renovated and restored by Baron Francesco. Toledo), which he assigned to his son Pietro, and with the purchase, in 1920, of the house of the Carta family (side via Grecia). (Information provided by Cav. Giuseppe Alessi).) And the casino created at the convent of Capuchins ». The Tirrito speaks in detail of the latter, saying that "a prince of Paternò in 1790 founded a sumptuous Casino, extinguished with the death of the founder". It was built in the building called "the palace" and built by the abbot Antonino Castiglione in the early 1600s. If, during the eighteenth century, the inhabited area of the two municipalities marked a limited increase, the population recorded a significant decrease in Cammarata and a slight increase in S. Giovanni. In fact, the inhabitants of the former, which in 1713 were 7645, were considerably reduced until reaching the number of 5123 in 1797; while those of the second, from 3011, in 1728, increased to 3123 in 11831. The continuous agricultural crises and long periods of drought justify the stability of the "new municipality", but they do not clarify the worrying decline of the Cammaratese population. its history, Cammarata records an impressive emigration to other places. Among the causes, not least is the increasing difficulty of the inhabitants to be able to build a new house in that "completely uneven site", where the town once stood.
Cammarata and San Giovanni Gemini
From 700 to today
[SOURCE: CAMMARATA BOOK SAN GIOVANNI GEMINI THE MUNICIPALITIES OF THE MOUNTAIN-SALVATORE PANEPINTO]
The nineteenth century
The demographic impoverishment, recorded in our two municipalities in the eighteenth century, was accentuated during the nineteenth century due to the spread of the "cholera morbus" in 1837 and 1854-1855, albeit to a lesser extent in S. Giovanni where the number of dead was contained. The population of Cammarata, in fact, dwindled from
5123 units in 1797, 5037 in 1852 and 4210 in 1861; that Sangiovannese stabilized, registering 3123
in 1831, 3131 in 1852 and 3219 in 1861. Only in the last decades has there been a notable increase in the number of inhabitants, albeit more consistently in Cammarata. The population of Cammarata increased to 6210 units in 1881 and 6541 in 1901; that of S. Giovanni passed in the same censuses to 3752 and 4238.A Cammarata, the increase of the inhabitants did not correspond, however, to an adequate growth of the inhabited area, because many deserted houses were re-inhabited and various areas repopulated. high, where the district of Santa Maria expanded for the construction of new houses.
«The last houses, at the top, continued to climb on that steep and sometimes steep rock; and at the same time they leaned one on the other to support each other. Not infrequently, not finding a better site, they rose on almost overhanging boulders, or along the crevices, which in winter, due to heavy rains, became streams ». Pasca gives us this description of Cammarata in the first decades of the nineteenth century: "Cammarata can be distinguished in the upper part, where the inhabitants are in the greatest number millers, and in the lower part where the buildings are much more modern and the most distinguished people live there. ; also divided into several small neighborhoods.
The square is a short enclosure with an inclined and irregular plane, where there is a source, or rather a drinking trough, where the fanticelle go to draw water and the animals to quench their thirst and then the ground is poorly guarded and excessively steep ». De Gregorio writes that, still at the end of the nineteenth century, "Cammarata was divided into neighborhoods not only for convenience of denomination, but out of necessity because between one and the other there were divisions or natural obstacles that made it difficult communications, especially in winter and rainy days, when the various "lavinara" swelled and became small impassable streams. Not only the cliffs and ramparts were also a natural obstacle, but also the various private "gardens" or religious houses which, at times, like those of convents and monasteries, had considerable extensions and were surrounded by walls ». Barone and Giarratana seem to agree with the above statement about the town of Cammarata, indicating that the last years of the nineteenth century the town had increased with the district of S. Maria, which appears compact with the other of the Embastia. Unlike Cammarata, the modest increase in the population of S. Giovanni was reflected in a notable building expansion. The inhabited area extended in equal measure both in the lower and in the upper part. They began to form the new districts of the «Puzzu Cumuni» (Common Well) and of the square. Bevaio. The first developed near the garden of the Capuchin convent, with wide and parallel streets, the second district was created "'ncapu u iardinu di Pairò", around a drinking trough that was there, on a flat and "On a slight slope at the same time".
Furthermore, the district of «'Ncapu u Ponti» was completed in the highest and rather bumpy part of the coast, due to which «the central street, also called Corso Toledo, became steep and winding». the numerous dwellings, "poor houses for the most part and straw houses", built along the course of the Tannery stream which, "rich in stones and mud, seemed to separate the town from the steep coast that rises from it. Towards 1880 "the country extended east to via Nuova, south to via Nazario Sauro, west to via Siberia". The inhabited area of S. Giovanni, which appeared compact, was divided by the two main streets, Largo Nazareno and Corso Toledo, which constituted its axes, into four districts or areas. Of these, the one to the north, towards the Capuchin convent, was the largest Due to the amenity of the place and the regular development, the town was described by various scholars who visited it during the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. «S. Giovanni - Pasca writes - is all flat. A wide street paved with small stones divides it in the middle and from it the little streets branch off that divide the town into many small compartments. Many were the works carried out and the social and cultural initiatives promoted during the nineteenth century.
In 1818, along the Via Socrate, the Ecce Homo chapel was built on the initiative of the Liguorini fathers in 1882, during the administration led by Girolamo Alessi, the cemetery was inaugurated (In 1862 the Municipal Administrations of Cammarata and S. Giovanni thought to create a suitable place for the deceased loved ones and far from inhabited centers. After years of discussions, the project was drafted and the place was chosen in the land of Mr. Antonino Alessi. It was inaugurated in 1882 by the mayors Girolamo Coffari and Girolamo Alessi.) and, in 1891, at the four canti, by the will of the mayor Francesco Carta, an artistic source was built in place of a more miserable (In 1891, at the four canti (a li quattru cantuneri), leaning against the house of the Carta family (today the Li Gregní family), an artistic fountain in squared and artistically carved stone was built. trapezoidal base, rested on a rectangular floor which was accessed via side steps. The fountain showed on the three sides as many arches, of which the central one closed by an iron door and the lateral ones occupied by niches. These contained the taps (canala) for water and shells (baci li) in stone. Brancif orti family) ». The fountain was destroyed in 1938 - during the reconstruction of the water and sewage pipeline along Corso F. Crispi because, the elderly remember, in the square there was always mud and there was always a patch of sintina).
Furthermore, at the end of the fourth decade, in honor of Jesus Nazarene, the tradition of the triumphal chariot spread by the master Alessandro Petyx, in 1878 the current name of San Giovanni Gemini was recognized to the town on the proposal of the lawyer Giuseppe Guarino (From the origins and until 1860 our town was indicated with the appellative of S. Giovanni. Italy, to prevent complicated homonyms with other towns with the same name, was changed to S. Giovanni di Cammarata.
From 3 December 1877, on the initiative of the sac. Don Giuseppe Forestieri, the town was called S. Giovanni Monte Gemini and from 26 June 1878, on the proposal of the lawyer Giuseppe Guarino, had recognized the current name of S. Giovanni Gemini.) in 1894 the orphanage was built thanks to don Liborio and donna Vincenza Alessi (On January 6, 1894 - reports Fr La Pilusa - a large and luxuriant building of Christian charity rose in S. Giovanni. The architects were D. Liborjo and D. Vincenza Alessi, who with their magnanimous nobility of heart established that their assets were used to relieve the unfortunate orphans ... and the most needy of our country) and in 1897 the rural and artisan fund was founded by the architect Giuseppe Forestieri (In 1897 the Rural Fund was founded "S. Vito" in Cammarata (January 23), thanks to the Saints Raffaele and Giuseppe Cacciato, and the Cassa Rurale ed Artigiana in San Giovanni Gemini (December 30th), on the initiative of arch. Giuseppe Forestieri.)
From 1900 to 1950
De Gregorio, in fact, in the thesis "Problems of the territory of Cammarata connected to the history of the county" they write: "The district of Gianguarna, almost certainly the oldest ..., falls within the sphere of influence of the church of the Annunziata ("In ancient times the church was dedicated to the Madonna of the Sick, but, even before the visit in 1540, it was called dell'Annunziata. It had a bell gable with two bells; on the initiative of the rector Sac. Salvatore. Pollina, from 1947 to 1949, a new bell tower was built on which a clock was later placed. "The church, today, is preceded by an atrium with a pointed arch and has the Crucifix (from the 17th century), the 17th century wooden group of the Annunziata, the canvas of the Magdalene perhaps by Reni and a painting by Fra Fedele da S. Biagio.,) and of the adjoining convent whose perimeter walls are still visible ».
Then they indicate in a table, where the urban development of Cammarata is reconstructed, as the second residential nucleus, the district downstream of the ancient "Strata della Carrozza" and between the square, the castle and the matrix. Among the aforementioned and partly conflicting hypotheses, we believe those expressed by Msgr. Domenico De Gregorio, both for the seriousness of those who advance them and because they appear the most likely. In fact we are inclined to believe that the primitive nucleus of the village was built around the "square", even if, as some ruins attest, an older and fortified farmhouse must have been located further upstream. The district of Gianguarna, although ancient, must have been created later, probably in the Arab period, because, as has been reported above, in the place where the church of S. Giacomo stands once there was perhaps a mosque. In fact, the area was called, with a name of Arab origin, "rabbato" or "rabbatello". Camarata had '', 0k at the time of Lucia, and especially in the years immediately following, ... an increase in population caused by many factors, such as the struggles against the Muslims around 1250 - when the numerous Arab hamlets of the Cammaratese countryside became depopulated -, the attraction of a strategic position as strong as the rock on which the town was built, the security guaranteed by the power of Lucia and of his successor Adamo, around their fortified castle, a phenomenon common to many other towns in Sicily, the comforts offered by a large coexistence of citizens and, we can also add, the need to find an airy place away from the malarial and landslide places that the deforestation of large areas was beginning to make dangerous ". This hypothesis is supported by Edrisi, who in" The book of King Roger "describes Cammarata during Lucia's dominion as follows:" Qammaratah, large farmhouse, has a territory of extensive borders, with many fields to sow, has a castle with a high site, strong and defensible, orchards and gardens and fruit in abundance ».
In this section we have collected other details on the history of Cammarata taken from the book Countries of Sicily of the Sicilian Bibliographic Institute, printed May 15, 1965. We hope to have done something pleasant.
Do you have better details or do you want to collaborate in a more detailed drafting of the text?
From 1950 to today
In the last forty years, contrary to what was noticed in the first part of the century, there has been a consistent building development in Cammarata and exceptional in San Giovanni Gemini.
The need for better living conditions and the lack of housing necessitated the construction of new and more comfortable homes. The urban growth for both municipalities can be divided into three periods: 1951-1968, 1969-1982 and 1983-1990 for Cammarata; 1951-1962, 1963-1980 and 1981-1990 for San Giovanni Gemini. In the first period there was a modest increase characterized mainly by public housing constructions and modest single-family homes; in the second, maximum development took place in areas not always suitable, "due to the steep slope or the instability of the coast", and in compliance with anti-seismic regulations; in the third, a building was developed, mostly privileged, consisting of multi-family buildings (or single-family buildings with pertinent land) or small villas. In the early 1950s, “downstream from the town of Cammarata, the sleepy group of houses called Gianguarna seemed to wake up as if from a winter torpor. And some new, sparse dwelling began to form along the "main road". The plain of the Lupa, green with vegetable gardens and vineyards, was thus whitened by buildings, mostly gray, for the people ». In the meantime, a new district developed «high above the old town and behind the convent of S. Maria, where the sides of the mountain seem to stretch out and form a land that is now flat, now sloping. A pleasant place, even if exposed to the winds. First on the level the buildings of the State, gray and smelling of mold, then all around the houses of emigrants and farmers built with the sweat of their brow. Finally, on the sloping land, the homes of workers and artisans, the latter newer and more well-made, although some are still under construction ». In those years "many houses began to be built on the steep coast, far from the town and called" Terra Rossa ", and, further down, near the dilapidated convent of S. Agostino". Towards the end of the Sixties, the Municipal Administration, led by dr. Salvatore Mirabile to offer the population the opportunity to build a home, large building areas are included in the Construction Plan, downstream (Lupa) and upstream of the historic center (Terra Rossa and S. Giuseppe), in areas not always suitable for urban development due to the orographic characteristics.
"The building expansions occurred with characteristics of traditional urban intensity, but without the organizational rigor of the historic center and ... without the search for a relationship with the site and with the other buildings, characteristics that are valid for building interventions public as well as for private ones and which have been accentuated in recent years, also in relation to illegal acts which, although not particularly extensive, have nevertheless had highly negative effects ». «It is interesting to note that in that land, called" Terra Rossa ", a rare phenomenon has been recorded, perhaps unique. Right there, the two countries come together, as if to form a single one, with mostly incomplete or "poor-looking" identical constructions. There, on sloping, steep and terraced land, they were sometimes massed in bulk and without order. territories ". Another type of building expansion occurred in the last decade along the Turibolo stream, in the center of the town, and in the higher areas of the eastern side of the mountain: S. Lucia and Balatelle. the convent of S. Agostino stood, over the years a building, so to speak, privileged was built.
There are many large and high buildings, as well as beautiful and luxurious houses, built by state employees, professionals and businessmen, the richest in short, some of whom parasites of politics. The place is not always easy, often very troubled with terraced streets and overhangs ». Upstream of the village, "in a pleasant basin and a site of rich trees", the "construction of single-family houses, with relatively large land, used as seasonal residences both by Cammaratesi and by strangers attracted by the beauty of the places and with favorable conditions " (In the last 40 years many problems have been solved, the civil equipment created, the roads and squares created that have renovated Cammarata. buildings were built for a nursery school (Lupa area - 1984 -1990), for a nursery school (S. Lucia area - 1978 - 1983), for two elementary schools (Central Plexus - S. Domenica area - 1955 -1958 ; Plesso S. Lucia - 1978 - 1983 - houses the hospital), for the middle school (largo dei Pini - 1967 - 1970), for the indoor gymnasium adjacent to the middle school (largo dei Pini - 1971 - 1975), for the parish hall (via Panepinto 1984), for the Carabinieri barracks (S. Giuseppe area - 1982 - 1983); a complex of sports facilities was created (a football field, a tennis basketball - Salaci area - 1972 - 1973 and completed 1986 - 1987); the south side of the convent of S. Maria di Gesù (via M. SS. Cacciapensieri - 1958 - 1961 hosts the IPSIA), the east side of the municipal house (via Roma - 1980), the building of the former hospital have been renovated (via L. Longo - 1984 - 1985) and the premises of the former Carabinieri barracks (piazza F. Crispi - 1987 - 1988 - houses the Liceo Scientifico); the squares Marrelli (1952 - 1953) and S. Maria (1953 - 1954) and the streets Matteotti (1954 - 1956 and 1961 - 1962 - repaved 1989), Maria SS. di Cacciapensieri (1953 - 1954 - completed 1958), S. Giuseppe (1964 - 1965), dei Mille (1966 - completed (1976 - 1977), Bonfiglio (1971 - 1972), Father G. Carust (1973 - 1794), the South ring road 1968 - 1970, 1974 - 1975, 1989 - 1990), the road connecting piazza S. Biagio-South ring road (1985) the water tanks of the Casazza district were built (1954), S. Michele 1964) and Serracanale (1984); the cemetery was opened (1981). (Data provided by the municipal technical office of Cammarata).) Of the climate.
In S. Giovanni Gemini, after the Second World War, the Municipal Administration, headed by Nicola Maria Alessi, in order to respond to the needs of the inhabitants, freed up vast building areas on the "sloping coast, partly collapsed, along Corso Umberto I and on the plain, downstream from the village, called "Puzzu Cumuni" ». «In the aforesaid plan, until the middle of this century, there was a spring where the women drew water and the peasants quenched their thirst with their animals a! return from the countryside. It was an almost flat land, and the abundance of water, gardens, reeds, fruit trees and vineyards made it rich and green. Around it, the houses began to take root and grow, like an incurable disease. First small and pretty, then bigger and bigger. The early 1950s began to build on the "coast" that gathered in the plain. Mostly modest houses, side by side, in long lines, up to its peak. Houses poor inside, mostly, but full of cries and cries of children and the joy they can give. Many of them, inhabited, some, empty, often for years, until the moment of return, others, abandoned forever. A few years later, a group of buildings for the people began to develop in the plan of the Sacramento, thus indicated for a rural church that was there. "Following the building development in the south-east area of the country, in 1961, along the course Umberto I, the church of Our Lady of Fatima was built, (The church was built in October 1961 on the initiative of the sac. Don Vincenzo Chimento, who obtained from the SPES company a room along Corso Umberto I, which with the help of some faithful he cleaned up and whitewashed. Parish was erected on 21 - 11 - 1962. The current church was built between 1971 and 1978, thanks to the interest of Father V. Chimento and the mayor of the time Dr. Illuminato Filippone. (Historical information on Our Lady of Fatima preserved by the sac. Don Vincenzo Chimento). , in 1988, - was enriched with a bell tower and an iron cross.
«The church of Our Lady of Fatima - says prof. G. Filippone - is characterized by a centric plant and a gable roof. The façade is enriched with three arches, inscribed in a central arch, and windows in a symmetrical form. The church, although modern in line, is inspired by Byzantine art) on the initiative of the sac. don Vincenzo Chimento. In 1963, while working to build the indicated areas, the Municipal Administration, led by Dr. Illuminato Filippone, with a new manufacturing plan, determined new directions of expansion to the south, west and east of the town. In a short time, construction became the source of the country's economy and the easiest and most profitable business. An impressive building development began, which allowed enormous speculations to improvised masons and contractors and landowners, which contributed to the proliferation of businesses and cooperatives and to improve the conditions of unskilled workers and workers.
"In the plan of the Sacramento, the first were followed by time, all around, many other buildings and two rooms for civil buildings: one, for the middle school, the other, for the town hall, then adapted for asylum and abandoned in art . The neighborhood had a substantial increase and then spread slightly downhill, downstream, towards the Piano dei morti "". It was a place, the latter, always indicated with fear and very little frequented due to the memory or tradition that was preserved.Once upon a time, due to frequent epidemics, numerous corpses were buried there, as there was not enough space in the churches and not finding a more suitable place. Upstream of the village, in the meantime, the houses sprang up like mushrooms in the steep and landslide areas called "Centrale", Albiso "and" Terra Rossa ". growth of a wood that, in a town there, developed, in a few years, a considerable expansion of houses. Without careful control of whoever was in charge of supervising, buildings of different sizes were sometimes built on top of each other.
The houses of emigrants, workers and farmers were later added to the primitive ones for the people. Many of them are incomplete because they are economics. There people consume their life gray, more than the houses, and rich in nothing but affections. «To the east, along the Corso Crispi, a rich building arose, with tall buildings and luxurious houses, for the most part. The land is not flat, but sloping, and the roads not always cared for, even if better maintained than the others in the country. It is the neighborhood of the new bourgeoisie, proud and vain people, for the most part, who lead their life amidst frivolity ». At the end of the seventies "the development of buildings was reduced to an almost halt". The urban structure had quadrupled its expansion and transformed the fields of the suburbs into a new unknown town, full of a forest of buildings, often five or six stories high. Downstream of it, in c / da Pizzillo, in the years 1977-1978, the monument to the Well of Jesus Nazarene was erected. (The monument was built in the years 1977 - 1978 in the Pizzillo district and in the place where, according to tradition, the statue was found of Jesus Nazarene. It was built in a land owned by Mr. Carmelo Lana (offered free of charge), for the work of the Committee for the monument to the Well and for the generosity of the population of S. Giovanni Gemini and Cammarata. The monument, designed by the architects Angelo Lupo and Mario Valenti, is mt. 5.25, long mt. 6.50 and high mt. 13.20. "Its structure is built in exposed reinforced concrete and in a single block.)
“And it was the crisis for several years; aggravated by political struggles and the lack of public funds. Unemployment rose and construction workers suffered again. Only the servants of politics and the parasites of the Commune prospered ». A slow recovery of the economy occurred after the mid-eighties, due to the commitment of the mayors (ins. Francesco Calarca, lawyer Luigi Lo Scrudato and surveyor Carmelo Lupo) and the State subsidies in social works. Meanwhile, however, two new neighborhoods had formed in "that stretch of green coast of trees and vineyards", named "Melaco", (In the «Melaco» district, along Corso F. Crispi, the church of S. Giuseppe. Construction, which began in 1989, is about to be completed in structure and coverage. «The church - wide mt. 40,80, long mt. 28 and high mt. 17 it consists of a large room intended for the faithful (ship) and provided of several windows arranged symmetrically on curved walls; on its sides there are two corners intended for confessionals. At the center of the building is the presbytery with a marble altar, a sdile for celebrant, and a tabernacle ». (Sebastiano Rossitto): «Technical report attached to the project of the" San Giuseppe "church, 1980) ". •) and in «that land that rises steeply to the mountain and has the name" Strait "». (From 1950 to today, many problems have been solved, the social works and sports facilities created, the streets and squares created that have completely changed the appearance of San Giovanni Gemini. refurbishment of a large part of the public lighting, of the water and sewage network.)
Up there, the "green frame" of woods, which surrounds the "majestic mountain of Cammarata, seems to enter and integrate into the building fabric of the two centers which form an exquisitely opposed" organic system ". (From 1950 to today, the extraordinary urban growth and new job opportunities did not correspond to a proportionate increase in the population in both municipalities. Emigration, massive in the years 1956-1971 and moderate in the period 1972-1981, caused a notable decrease of inhabitants in Cammaata and a considerable increase in S. Giovanni Gemini. In fact the population of Cammaata from 8,981 units in 1951 was reduced to 8,377 in 1961, to 6,950 in 1971 and 6,552 in 1981, to increase up to 7,032 in 1989; while that of Sangiovannese from 6,377 units in 1951 grew to 7,752, 7,777, 8,197 and 8,581 in the same years. sensitive immigration of Cammaratesi who found the possibility of building a new home in the territory of the new municipality.
Buildings were built for a nursery school (Terra Rossa area - 1978 - 1985), for a private nursery school (Central area - 1964 - 1965), for three elementary schools (Plesso don Bosco - via A. Musco - 1956 - 1961) ; New Plexus - Terra Rossa area - 1965 -1966; Plexus don Bosco - Melaco area 1982 - 1986), for the middle school (Sacramento area - 1872 - 1976 - completion and gymnasium 1987 - 1988), for the outpatient clinic (via V. Veneto - 1959 - 1960 - completion 1970), for the rectory (via Trento - 1967 - 1968), for the Town Hall (Sacramento area - 1972 - 1977, houses the nursery school classes and the Employment Office), for the new oratory (Piazza A. De Gasperi - 1978), for the Social Center (Melaco area - 1989-1990 ); the south side of the Capuchin convent was rebuilt (1970 it hosted some kindergarten classes); the churches of Our Lady of Fatima (Central area -1971-1978) and of S. Giuseppe (Melaco area - 1989-1990) and the monument to the Well of Jesus Nazarene (1977-1978) were built, the complex was created of sports facilities (a football field, two tennis fields, one volleyball field - Cemetery area - 1974-1975), the indoor gym next to the middle school (Sacramento area - 1987-1988) and the multipurpose indoor gym (Cemetery area - 1980 - 1990); the municipal house (via Roma - 1957 - 1958 and 1984 - 1985) and the premises of the former oratory (corso F. Crispi - 1985) were restored and the conservative restorations of the churches of Madonna del Carmelo (1987-1989) and of St. John the Baptist (1987 - 1988); the squares Alcide De Gasperi (1955 - 1956), Michele Purrello (1956 - 1957), Martyrs of Hungary (1965 - repaved 1987 - 1988), Giuseppe Lauricella (1974-1975) mons. Angelo Lo Scrudato (1979); Independence (1984) and the streets of Dionisio Alessi (1952 - 1954); 1967 - 1968; 1984), Alba (1955 - 1956), Sacramento (1955), Don Bosco (1958), Angelo Musco (1958 - completed 1987), Tannery (1966), Francesco Crispi (extension - 1967-1968), Europe (1972-1973 ), Nicolò Carta (1972-1973), Stretto (1984), Campania (1986-1988), Alfonso Sciangula (1987-1990), the southern ring road (first section - 1988 - 1990); the two water tanks in the Stretto district were built (1977 and 1987); the cemetery was enlarged 1981). Anna Maria Alì - Carmelo Caracciolo - Angelo Lupo: "Urban relationship". The population of Cammarata reached the highest roof in 1956
with 9,143 units.
Return to the story of
San Giovanni Gemini
Return to the story of
Not just history, find out what to do a
San Giovanni Gemini and Cammarata
There are various activities that can be carried out in our municipalities, dozens of restaurants that deal with the products of the Sicani mountains, guaranteeing very high quality at an excellent price, moreover, many places where you can stay among hotels, farmhouses, B&B and holiday homes.
Huge choice of Shops, night clubs available in the heart of the city, as well as the beauty of the territory itself with its majestic Mount Cammarata which dominates sovereign.